Translation Memory (TM)
To create a new Trados 2014 translation memory (TM) database take the following steps:
1. Click the Translation Memories button in the lower-left corner to switch to the Translation Memories view.
2. Note that the Home tab of the ribbon has changed to show TM-related functions. Click the New button, then select New Translation Memory.
3. In the Name text field of the New Translation Memory dialog box enter the name of your TM. It is good practice to use descriptive file names for translation memories, which reflect the language pair, e.g. EN-AR_Training.
4. The Location text field shows the default path in which the TM file will be stored. The TM file will have the extension SDLTM. As you need to select the newly-created TM later for translation, we recommend that you specify a location that you can find easily, e.g. your Desktop/Sample files.
5. To do this click the Browse button, select your preferred path in the Browse For Folder dialog box, and confirm with OK.
6. Make sure that English (United States) is selected in the Source Language dropdown list.
7. From the dropdown list Target Language select Arabic (Egypt).
8. Click the Finish button to create the TM.
9. On the following page a progress bar will indicate when the TM creation is completed. When this is the case, click the Close button.
The TM has now been created, and is displayed in the Navigation pane on the left-hand side. Since the newly-created TM is empty, there are no translation units (TUs) to display. In the following chapter you will learn how you use this TM for translation.