Tagged with "sdl trados studio 2014 Archives - Translation Deals Ltd."
How to Create a Project Template in SDL Trados 2014
This topic describes how to create a project template. Project templates are created based on existing projects.
To create a project template:
Click the Projects button in the navigation pane to display the Projects view.
Select the project from which you want to create a template from the list of projects on the right like "Translation Deals Sample Project" and then select Project > Create Project Template from the menu bar. The Save Project Template dialog box is displayed.
Enter the name you want to assign to the template in the File name box like "Translation Deals Template" and click Save. The template is now created and the Project Template Settings dialog box is displayed. All of the settings specified in the project are now copied across to the project template.
Select Project Template from the navigation tree. The Project Template settings are displayed on the right.
The Name box is automatically populated with the File name you just entered. You can change this if required.
If you want to enter a description, enter it in the Description box.
Select File Types from the navigation tree. The File Type Settings are displayed on the right. Edit as required. See Edit File Type Settings for a Project Template.
If you want to set up automatic verification checks for your project, select Verification and make the relevant settings according to the type of checks you wish to add.
If you want to add additional language pairs to the project template:
Select Language Pairs from the navigation tree. The Language Pairs settings are displayed on the right.
Click Add. The Add Language Pair dialog box is displayed.
Select the source and target languages of the new language pair and click OK. The language pair is added to the Language Pairs box on the right and to the navigation tree under Language Pairs.
Select your translation memory settings:
To change your translation memory settings for all languages at the same time, select Language Pairs > All Language Pairs > Translation Memory and Automated Translation from the navigation tree. The Translation Memory and Automated Translation settings are displayed on the right. Select your required settings.
To change your translation memory settings for a specific language pair, select Language Pairs > [Source Language Name – Target Language Name ] > Translation Memory and Automated Translation from the navigation tree. The Translation Memory and Automated Translation settings are displayed on the right. Select your required settings.
Select your batch processing settings:
To change your batch processing settings for all languages at the same time, select Language Pairs > All Language Pairs > Batch Processing from the navigation tree. The Batch Processing pageis displayed on the right. Select your required settings.
To change your batch processing settings for a specific language pair, select Language Pairs > [Source Language Name – Target Language Name ] > Batch Processing from the navigation tree. The Batch Processing page is displayed on the right. Select your required settings.
Click OK to save the new project template and to close the Project Template Settings dialog box.
The new project template is now available for selection when you create a new project.
How to Create a Trados Project Template Translation Deals Ltd. Average rating: 4.2, based on 11779 reviews
Create SDL Trados 2014 AutoSuggest dictionary
AutoSuggest editing is an optional feature which can be used to speed up manual translation. AutoSuggest monitors what you are typing and, after you have typed the first few characters of a word, presents you with a list of suggested words and phrases in the target language that start with the same characters. If one of the words or phrases matches what you were about to type, you can automatically complete the word or phrase by selecting it from the list. As you continue to type the list of suggested words is continuously updated.
To create a new Trados 2014 AutoSuggest take the following steps:
1) Click File > Options > Language pairs > choose your pairs like (English -> Arabic) > AutoSuggest dictionaries.
SDL Trados 2014 AutoSuggest dictionaries
2) If you have already AutoSuggest dictionariy you can click in Add button.
3) If you do not have AutoSuggest dictionariy you will click in Generate button and add Trados Translation Menory (TM).
4) In this example we found the number of translation units to process 301000 at this translation memory.
5) Select the AutoSuggest dictionariy Location and click finish.
Remember that translation memories allow matching on a sentence (segment) basis, while AutoSuggest dictionaries are used for matching segment fragments.
Translate a single file in SDL Trados Studio 2014 directly.
When you only have one file to translate, you can open the file directly in SDL Trados Studio 2014, the system will create a project for your file automatically. But even though a project is created, there are differences between translating a single file and setting up a project with the project wizard. The project of a single file is limited to this file, new files cannot be added to the project.
Then you choose which translation memory and termbase you want to use.
For translation, your file will be saved into the internal SDL XLIFF format. This file will contain source and target language sentences while you translate.
After translation you save your translated file back to the original file format.
OPENING A FILE
To open the sample document for translation, take the following steps:
Selecting the Document and the Language Pair
1. Switch to the Welcome screen, and then click the Translate Single Document button.
2. Browse to the sample files folder in which the sample document is located, e.g. ..\Sample Files\Sample documents.
3. Select the file sample.doc by double-clicking it.
4. In the Open Document dialog box, make sure that English (United States) is selected as the source language.
5. Select your target language from the Target Language dropdown list, i.e. Arabic (Egypt).
Translate a single file in SDL Trados Studio 2014 Translation Deals Ltd. Average rating: 4.2, based on 9779 reviews
Translation Memory (TM)
To create a new Trados 2014 translation memory (TM) database take the following steps:
1. Click the Translation Memories button in the lower-left corner to switch to the Translation Memories view.
2. Note that the Home tab of the ribbon has changed to show TM-related functions. Click the New button, then select New Translation Memory.
3. In the Name text field of the New Translation Memory dialog box enter the name of your TM. It is good practice to use descriptive file names for translation memories, which reflect the language pair, e.g. EN-AR_Training.
4. The Location text field shows the default path in which the TM file will be stored. The TM file will have the extension SDLTM. As you need to select the newly-created TM later for translation, we recommend that you specify a location that you can find easily, e.g. your Desktop/Sample files.
5. To do this click the Browse button, select your preferred path in the Browse For Folder dialog box, and confirm with OK.
6. Make sure that English (United States) is selected in the Source Language dropdown list.
7. From the dropdown list Target Language select Arabic (Egypt).
8. Click the Finish button to create the TM.
9. On the following page a progress bar will indicate when the TM creation is completed. When this is the case, click the Close button.
The TM has now been created, and is displayed in the Navigation pane on the left-hand side. Since the newly-created TM is empty, there are no translation units (TUs) to display. In the following chapter you will learn how you use this TM for translation.
Creating a Trados 2014 translation memory Translation Deals Ltd. Average rating: 4.2, based on 5779 reviews
The SDL Trados Studio 2014 User Interface
The Welcome Screen
The Welcome screen of SDL Trados Studio 2014 provides quick access to commonly used functions:
New Project: starts a project wizard to prepare one or more files for translation into one or more target languages.
Translate Single Document: opens single documents for translation.
Open Package: opens a project package sent by a project manager for translation or editing; this button can also be used by project managers to open return packages that were sent back by translators or reviewers.
Open GroupShare Project: allows access to an online project on a GroupShare Server where several users can work together in one project at the same time.
The Navigation Pane
On the bottom of the Navigation pane you find a set of buttons: Welcome, Projects, Editor, Translation Memories. By clicking these buttons you can switch between different views. During this training course we will mainly work in the Editor view, which is used to translate, edit and review documents.
The Application Ribbon
On the top of the application window you will find the application ribbon with buttons, which provide access to other functions such as Show Shortcuts, Generate AutoSuggest Dictionary, etc.
The ribbon features a number of tabs, e.g. File, Home, View, etc. Each tab provides access to specific functions.
For example, click the File tab, which contains the commands for file-related operations such as Save, Close, etc.
Now switch back to the Home tab. Note that the content of the tabs changes depending on the view that is currently selected. For example, in the Welcome view, the Home tab shows different buttons than in the Editor view, which is used for translating documents.
Optimizing your Screen Space
You can minimize the Navigation pane on the left-hand side by clicking the Minimize the Navigation Pane button. When minimized, the links to help topics and the navigation button labels are no longer visible. However, the navigation buttons on the bottom of the Navigation pane will still be accessible.
With the keyboard shortcut F11 you can switch to the Full Screen mode. This will hide elements such as the top application bar. By pressing F11 again you can exit the Full Screen mode.
The SDL Trados Studio 2014 User Interface Translation Deals Ltd. Average rating: 4.2, based on 569 reviews